All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have numerous clinical breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will be delighted with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by fancy ads about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the read what he said laser.
3. Select a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician does not understand can harm you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't tell you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as good as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The very best surgeon on the planet can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of countless people worldwide.